A Common Error
One of the most common errors that people make is the use of a series of spaces where a tab should be used. The correct form is as follows…
<TARGET>: <DEPENDENCY LIST>
[ tab ] <ACTION>
- In many cases cutting and pasting will produce some errors…
- It will usually reproduce this tab as several spaces.
- It may also break lines of text across several lines, depending on the editor, thus giving many unexpected errors.
- Ex: a long line of comments may break to the next line, and the make utility will no longer ignore this line, as it should.
- Many FTP programs will automatically replace this tab with spaces as well. So, if you want to FTP a makefile to your GL account you will probably need to correct this problem once the file is in your directory.
Created by: Daniel J. Hood, February 2000