Frequently Asked Questions – Computer Science Graduate Program
1. What are your suggested GRE scores?
60% for Quantitative, 40% for Verbal, and 40% for Analytical
We base off of the percentile for each section.
2. I have over 10 years of work experience, can I apply to the Master’s Program?
Yes, but you need to have a Bachelor’s degree.
3. I wish to be considered for departmental financial support, what should I do?
You should apply, and take the GRE’s.
4. Do you offer support to Masters Students?
Yes, we offer support to Masters Students.
5. How many years does it take to complete a Master’s Degree in Computer Science?
Between 1-4 years depending if you are part-time or full-time
2 years is most common.
6. How many years does it take to complete a Ph.D. in Computer Science?
Between 5-7 years depending if you are part-time or full-time
5 years is most common.
7. What is an acceptable GPA to be considered to apply to the Master’s and Ph.D. program?
3.0 or higher.
8. How long does it take the committee to review applications?
It varies, but it can take between 2-3 months depending on the volume of applications received.
9. Where should I send my application documents?
All application documents should be sent directly to:
UMBC Graduate School
1000 Hilltop Circle
2nd Floor, Administration Building
Baltimore, MD 21250
10. Do I have to take the GRE?
M.S. not necessarily, but yes if seeking departmental support. Yes, you should take the GRE for Ph.D.
11. Are GRE and TOEFL required for International applicants?
Yes, you must take the GRE and TOEFL if you graduated from a foreign university.
12. What is the minimum TOEFL score for admission to the Computer Science program?
80 is the minimum, but most successful applicants score higher.
13. What is the minimum IELTS score?
6.5 is the minimum IELTS score
14. My GPA is below the Computer Science department’s requirement, will my application still be reviewed?
Yes, but your application may be declined.
15. Am I required to have 3 letters of recommendations?
2 letters are sufficient, but less than that your application will likely be denied.
16. I don’t have the required pre-requisite courses, what should I do?
You should take the pre-requisite courses as a special student if you can, but we encourage incoming graduate students to have a background equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
17. Will I be admitted to the CMSC program without the required pre-requisite courses?
It depends on how many courses you lack, and compensating experience.
18. If I send you a profile.,i.e. (transcripts, test scores, etc) can you tell me if I’m eligible to apply?
You must read the information on the CSEE website to see if you are eligible to apply.