Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
329 Information Technology and Engineering (ITE) Building
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
phone: (410) 455-3522
Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 1980
S.B., Electrical Engineering, MIT, 1971
Tim Finin holds the Willard and Lillian Hackerman Chair in Engineering at UMBC. He has over 40 years of experience in applications of artificial intelligence to problems in information systems and language understanding. His current research is focused on representing and reasoning with knowledge graphs, analyzing and extracting information from text, and enhancing security and privacy in information systems. He received an S.B. degree in EE from MIT and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He has held positions at UMBC, Unisys, the University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University and the MIT AI Laboratory. He is an ACM fellow, an AAAI fellow, an IEEE technical achievement award recipient, and was selected as the UMBC Presidential Research Professor in 2012. To learn more about Dr. Finin’s research pursuits, read his research profile.
- Maithilee Joshi, Karuna P. Joshi and Tim Finin, Delegated Authorization Framework for EHR Services using Attribute Based Encryption, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, to appear, 2020.
- Ankur Padia, Konstantinos Kalpakis, Francis Ferraro and Tim Finin, Knowledge Graph Fact Prediction via Knowledge-Enriched Tensor Factorization, Journal of Web Semantics, to appear, 2020.
- Donald Norris, Laura Mateczun, Anupam Joshi and Tim Finin, Cyberattacks at the grassroots: American local governments and exposure to cyber-crime, Public Administration Review, 2019.
- Sandeep Narayanan, Ashwinkumar Ganesan, Karuna Joshi, Tim Oates, Anupam Joshi and Tim Finin, Early detection of Cybersecurity Threats using Collaborative Cognition, 4th IEEE Int. Conf. on Collaboration and Internet Computing, Oct. 2018.
- Jennifer Sleeman, Milton Halem and Tim Finin, Ontology-Grounded Topic Modeling for Climate Science Research, Semantic Web for Social Good Workshop (Selected as best paper), Int. Semantic Web Conf., Monterey, Oct. 2018 . also in Emerging Topics in Semantic Technologies, E. Demidova, A.J. Zaveri, E. Simperl (Eds.), ISBN: 978-3-89838-736-1, AKA Verlag Berlin, 2018.