Interaction with Virtual Environments

Tabitha C. Peck
Event Lab, University of Barcelona

1:00pm Tuesday 27 March 2012, ITE32bb, UMBC

Immersive virtual environments (VEs) enable user-controlled interactions within a computer-generated virtual world, such as head-controlled point-of-view, user-controlled locomotion, and user-controlled self-avatars. In this talk I will present three projects focusing on the development of VE systems through understanding human interactions within the VE. The first project presents a VE system that enables users to really walk through VEs that are larger than the tracker-space by manipulating the imprecisions of the human visual system. The remaining two projects focus on virtual embodiment. The theory of embodiment is based on the plasticity of the human mind and its ability to accept a virtual avatar’s body as its own. One theory as to why embodiment works, following the same underlying principles thought to cause the “rubber hand illusion” from cognitive psychology, is that when given appropriate visual and/or haptic stimuli, people will accept an external representation of a body part as their own. This effect has been shown to extend to full-body avatars in virtual environments. I will present one project that demonstrates, through electroencephalography (EEG), that people respond to a virtual avatar as if it is their own body, and a second project that explores harnessing the powers of embodiment to reduce racism and study other psychological issues.

My name is Tabitha C. Peck and I am a post-doctoral researcher at the Event Lab in Barcelona, Spain working with Professor Mel Slater. I received my PhD from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill under the supervision of Professors Henry Fuchs and Mary C. Whitton. My PhD research focused on locomotion interfaces in virtual environments and enabling people to physically walk in small spaces while walking in much larger virtual spaces. I am currently working in the European project, Virtual Embodiment and Robotic Re-Embodiment (VERE), and my current research focuses on the psychological effects of embodiment in virtual environments. My research interests include immersive virtual environments, virtual embodiment, human-computer interaction, 3D user interfaces, locomotion, navigation, system design and evaluation, and human perception.