UMBC CMSC 313, Computer Organization & Assembly Language, Fall 2003, Section 0101
Linux Memory Model
Thursday 10/09, 2001
Assigned Reading in Murdocca & Heuring: 7.7
Assigned Reading in Neveln: 8.1-8.8
- Slides are available in PDF:
- The storage hierarchy consisting of registers, cache, main
memory (RAM), secondary storage (hard disk) and off-line storage
(tape) and trade-offs between cost and speed.
- Problems with memory management: not enough RAM, memory protection
- Virtual memory by paging.
- Two-tiered address translation scheme supported by the Pentium
- How Linux implements memory protection using the virtual memory
14 Nov 2003 10:14:30 EST
to Fall 2003 CMSC 313 Section Homepage