Advisory boards, studies and standards activities
- AAAI President's Fellows Advisory Board, 2019-
- Advisor, American Art Collaborative, 2014-16. link
- Member (invited expert), World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) CSV on the Web Working Group, 2014-2015.
- Committee of Visitors for NSF's CISE Information and Intelligent Systems Division, 2005.
- Member, scientific advisory committee, Computation Sciences and Engineering Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2005-2009
- Member, Joint DARPA/EU Semantic Web Services Committee, 2003-2005
- Member, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Ontologies Working Group, 2001-2005
- Advisory board, Advanced Information Technology, Smith-Klein Beechum, 1999-2004
- Planning committee, CRA study on the Information Technology Workforce, (NSF sponsored), 1998-99
- Steering committee, Institute for Global Electronic Commerce, 1997-2002
- Executive board, Computer Research Association (AAAI representative), 1997-2006
- Councilor of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 1994-97
- 1991 NSF Presidential Young Investigatory review board
- Advisory board, DARPA/NSF Knowledge Representation Standards Initiative, 1990-1996
Current Editorial Activities
- Co-editor, Viewpoints section, Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery, 2013-
- Editorial board, Int. Journal of Agent-Oriented Software Engineering, InderScience
- Editorial Board, Artificial Intelligence Review, Springer, 1988-
Past Editorial Activities
- Editor-in-chief, Journal of Web Semantics, Elsevier, 2005-2016
- Editorial board, Int. Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools, World Scientific, 2005-2010
- Editorial board, Autonomous Agents and Multi-agent Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Advisory board, Int. Journal of Information and Knowledge Management
- Editor, AgentNews, ISSN 1090-306. AgentNews is an electronic newsletter distributed electronically by email and over the world-wide web. Published about 15 times per year with approximately 1600 direct subscribers.
- Co-editor with M. Koubarakis and Y. Labrou, Special issue on Intelligent Information Agents in the Internet and the WWW Age, Int. Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools, vol 11 number 1, March 2002.
- Joint Editor, Tutorial Monographs in Artificial Intelligence (Ablex Publishing Corporation), 1988 - 1991.
- Editorial Board, User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, Kluwer, 1989 - 1997.
- Editorial Board, IEEE Expert, IEEE Press, 1990 - 1993.
- Associate, Behavioral and Brain Science, 1989-1990.
- Comtex Scientific Corporation, member of editorial board - Artificial Intelligence Series, 1982 - 1984.
- Guest Editor, Computer Graphics and Applications, special issue on “Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence”, v5n11, Nov. 1985.
Conference and workshop activities
- Co-General Chair, IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics,
Baltimore, MD, 2015.
- Organizer, Beyond Watson Workshop, NSF and DoD, Hanover, MD,
- Co-chair, Ontology Summit 2014 Symposium, Arlington VA, 2014.
- Organizer, AAAI Fall Symposium on Open Government Knowledge: AI
Opportunities and Challenges, 2011.
- Organizer, AAAI Workshop on Activity Context Representation:
Techniques and Languages, San Francisco, 2011. link
- Organizer, NSF-IUSSTF Workshop on Distributed Infrastructure for Security
Monitoring and Intelligence Extraction Indian Institute of Science,
- Organizer, Workshop on 'Semantics for the Rest of Us, Variants of
RDF and OWL in the Real World', 18th Int. World Wide Web
Conf., Madrid, 2009. link
- General chair, Int. Semantic Web Conf., Karlsruhe DE, 2008. link
- Organizer, Int. Conf. on Weblogs and Social Media, Seattle,
- Organizer, AAAI Fall symposium on Regarding the "Intelligence" in
Distributed Intelligent Systems, Arlington VA, 2007.
- Co-Chair, Artificial Intelligence and the Web, a special technical
paper track AAAI, Boston, 2007.
- Co-Chair, Artificial Intelligence and the Web, a special technical
paper track AAAI, Boston, 2006.
- Organizer, AAAI Fall Symposium on Semantic Web for Collaborative
Knowledge Acquisition, Arlington VA, 2006.
- Organizer, ECAI Workshop on the use of Semantic Web Technologies
for Ubiquitous and Mobile Applications, Tentino IT, 2006. link
- Organizer, Workshop on Models of Trust for the Web, 15th
Int. World Wide Web Conf., 2006, Edinburgh. link
- Organizer, Semantic Web and Policy Workshop, 4th Int.
Semantic Web Conf., Galway, Ireland, 2005. link
- Organizer, Policy Management for the Web Workshop, 14th
Int. World Wide Web Conf., Chiba, Japan, 2005. link
- Organizer, Workshop on Ambient Intelligence - Agents
for Ubiquitous Environments, Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, Utrecht, 2005. link
- Program co-chair, Mobiquitous 2004, The First Annual Int.
Conf. on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services,
Boston, 2004. link
- Organizer, Workshop on Ubiquitous Agents,
Conf. on Autonomous Agents and
Multiagent Systems, New York, 2004. link
- Organizer, Workshop on Web-services and Agent-based Engineering,
Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, New York,
- Organizer, Workshop on Ubiquitous Agents on embedded, wearable,
and mobile devices, Conf. on
Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, Bologna, 2002.
- Organizer, Workshop on Ontologies for Agent Systems, Conf. on
Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, Bologna, July 2002.
- Organizer, Workshop on Agentcities: Research in Large Scale Open
Agent Environments, Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems,
- Track chair, Workshop on Agent Theories, Architectures, and
Languages (ATAL), Seattle, WA, 2001.
- Organizer, AAAI Workshop Knowledge Based Electronic Markets,
- Organizer, AAAI Workshop on Artificial Intelligence for Electronic Commerce,
- Organizer, CRA Effective Teaching Workshop, Madison, 1998.
- Program co-chair, ACM Autonomous Agents Conf.,a 1998.
- Organizer, 2nd CIKM Workshop on Intelligent Information Agents, Gaithersburg MD, 1995.
- Associate Chair, AAAI Symposium Series, 1995-8.
- Steering Committee, IEEE Conf. on Artificial
Intelligence for Applications, 1990-94.
- Organizer, CIKM Workshop on Intelligent Information Agents,
Gaithersburg MD, 1994.
- Co-General Chair, Second ACM Int. Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management, 1993, Washington, DC.
- Co-General Chair, First Int. Conf. on Information
and Knowledge Management, 1992, Baltimore, MD.
- General chair, 8th IEEE Conf. on Artificial Intelligence for Applications, Monterey, March, 1992.
- Program Chair, 7th IEEE Conf. on Artificial
Intelligence Applications, Miami, 1991.
- Co-Organizer, AAAI Workshop on Knowledge Base Management
Systems, Boston, August, 1990.
Program committee member (last five years)
- 6th Workshop on Noisy User-generated Text at EMNLP, Nov. 2020
- 2nd Workshop on Interaction-Based Knowledge Sharing (WINKS-2), Sept. 2019
- The Joint Ontology Workshops, Medical University of Graz, Sept. 2019.
- Journal Track, Int. Semantic Web Conf, 2019.
- Knowledge Graph Technology and Applications Workshop, WWW 2019.
- Area chair for Social Media, 57th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, July 2019.
- Senior program committee, 28th Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, August 2019.
- Information Extraction track, 2019 Conf. of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics
- PAL: Privacy-Enhancing Artificial Intelligence and Language Technologies, AAAI Spring Symposium, March 2019, Stanford
- The Web Conf., San Francisco, May 2019
- Int. Semantic Web Conf., October 2018
- Workshop on Knowledge Base Construction, Reasoning and Mining co-located with WSDM'18, Feb 2018, Los Angeles
- Web Content Analysis, Semantics, and Knowledge track, 27th Web Conference, Lyon, France, April 2018
- Scientometrics Workshop, Extended Semantic Web Conf., Slovenia, May 2017
- AAAI Fall Symposium on Privacy and Language Technologies, Nov 2016, Arlington VA
- Semantics and Knowledge track, 26th World Wide Web Conf., April 2017, Australia
- Second Workshop on Mobile Deployment of Semantic Technologies, at Int. Semantic Web Conf., Japan, Oct 2016.
- Society, Privacy and the Semantic Web - Policy and Technology, at Int. Semantic Web Conf., Japan, Oct 2016
- 25th Int. World Wide Web Conf., Semantics and Big Data track, April 2016, Montreal
- ISWC Workshop on Privacy, Security and the Semantic Web: Society, Policy and Technology, Bethlehem, PA, Oct. 2015
- ISWC Workshop on Mobile Deployment of Semantic Technologies, Bethlehem, PA, Oct. 2015