UMBC CMSC 313, Computer Organization & Assembly Language, Fall 2003, Section 0101
i386 Assembly Language II
Thursday 09/11, 2001
Assigned Reading in Murdocca & Heuring:
Assigned Reading in Neveln: 6.1-6.5
- Slides are available in PDF:
- Discussed Project 1.
- Reviewed i386 basic architecture.
- Reviewed "toupper.asm". Used gdb debugger to trace
through the execution of the program.
- i386 Instruction set overview.
- CISC versus RISC design philosophies.
- How to read the friendly manual, including the notation
for common addressing modes.
- The EFLAGS register. Flags we care about: OF, SF, ZF, CF.
- The basic instructions: ADD, SUB, INC, DEC, MOV, NOP.
- Branching instructions: unconditional and conditional jumps.
- The CMP (compare) instruction, signed versus unsigned jumps.
14 Nov 2003 10:13:51 EST
to Fall 2003 CMSC 313 Section Homepage