From CSEE Documentation
Mozilla Thunderbird is available for use on Linux and Solaris workstations. Extra steps are needed to run Thunderbird on Solaris.
- Run Thunderbird from the graphical menu or /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird from the command line
Access from Command Line
- Type the command
Access from Java Desktop System
- Right-click on the GNOME panel (close enough windows if there is empty space in your panel).
- Highlight the "Add to Panel" menu item and click "Launcher..." in the sub-menu.
- For the Name, type in: Thunderbird
- For the Generic name, type in: Thunderbird
- For the Command, type in: /usr/bin/thunderbird
- Click the Icon squre (it will say No Icon by default)
- In the new icon selection window, type: /usr/lib/thunderbird/icons/mozicon50.xpm
- Click the OK button. The icon selection window will close.
- Click the OK button. The Create Launcher window will close.
- Adjust the location of the Thunderbird icon as needed in your GNOME panel by dragging and dropping.