CMSC 341 News Archive
This file lists announcements concerning CMSC-341, Fall 2003.
Announcements are in reverse chronological order. The latest
announcement is on top.
- 12 Nov 2003 Some students are having difficulty reusing an ifstream.
If you use an ifstream to open/read/close a file, you must call the clear()
method for your ifstream after calling close() before you can reuse the ifstream for a different file.
- 08 Nov 2003 If you include SeparateChaining.H in multiple .C
files you will get errors saying that functions have multiple definitions.
To fix this, take new copies of SeparateChaining.C and .H and take a new
file named SeparateChainingAux.C. You will need to compile this aux file
and link it with your project.
- 06 Nov 2003 There were problems with Weiss' hash table code that
caused compiler warnings. They have been fixed. Take new copies of the
- 06 Nov 2003 For project 4, the files you load will contain only
words with no extraneous characters like punctuation. Queries should be
- 03 Nov 2003 A reminder that Mr. Frey's exam 2 has been rescheduled for Wednesday
- 30 Oct 2003 Mr. Edelman will hold an exam 2 review session in
Lecture Hall 8 at 8:30 on Thursday, October 30th.
- 27 Oct 2003 Exam 2 review questions posted.
- 21 Oct 2003 The CSEE Department is undertaking a qualitative
research study to better understand the Computer Science undergraduate
student experience. You are invited to participate by taking part in a
focus group discussion to discuss your experience at UMBC. For more
information, click here.
- 16 Oct 2003 There was a problem with the author's tree code that
will make some compilers issue a warning or error. That has been fixed.
Take a fresh copy of BinarySearchTree.H if you're using it.
- 7 Oct 2003 If you want to add iterator methods that follow jump
pointers, e.g. JumpAdvance(), that is allowed for project 2.
- 7 Oct 2003 Duplicates are allowed in Jump Lists and should be
handled by inserting the duplicated value(s) as actual nodes in the list
rather than keeping a counter.
- 7 Oct 2003 The project 2 description says "When deleting a node
from a Jump List, you must make sure that all pointers that point to it,
both next and jump, point to the node following the one to be
deleted. However, if the node to be deleted is the last node in the list,
any jump pointers that point to it should point to the new last node."
This can lead to a problem when removing the last node in the list. In
that case, the second to last node is the new last node, and you don't want
the jump pointer of the new last node to point to itself. Clearly, the
next and jump pointers of the last node in the list should point to NULL.
- 22 Sep 2003 Exam 1 review questions posted.
- 18 Sep 2003 - - The due date
for project 1 has been extended to 11:59PM on Tuesday, September 23rd.
- 18 Sep 2003 - A new discussion board has been created for the
- 15 Sep 2003 - Mr. Edelman will host an exam review session for
all students in LH 8 (in the ITE building) on Thursday Sept. 25th at 8:15pm
- 9 Sep 2003 - For project 1, operator>> and operator<< are
supposed to be non-member, non-friend functions for all three classes.
- 9 Sep 2003 - Instructor and TA office hours are now posted.
Click on the "Course Staff" and "Office Hours" links below.
- 8 Sep 2003 - Added "using namespace std" to top of Proj1.C to
avoid problems with stream headers on some compilers.
- 2 Sep 2003 - The names of all students registered for any
section as of 9AM this morning have been added to the submit system.
If you cannot submit project 0 now let your instructor know.