CMSC 341 News Archive
This file lists announcements concerning CMSC-341, Fall 2002.
Announcements are in reverse chronological order. The latest
announcement is on top.
- 9 Dec 2002 - Final Exam Preview Session - in room SS 003
on Tuesday, 12/10 - from 8:30 to about 9:30
- 11 Nov 2002 - The project 4 function prototypes for find(),
increaseKey(), and decreaseKey() had the '&' in the wrong place. They have
been fixed in the project description.
- 11/09/02 The broken questions and sample output links for
project 4 now work.
- 11/07/02 Some students are getting errors about arguments being
re-ordered in the BinaryHeap constructor. Take a new copy of BinaryHeap.C
and the error will go away.
- 07 Nov 2002 - The project 4 description says there are CPUTimer
methods named last() and total(). They are actually named getLast() and
- 11/07/02 The project 3 description said there are two CPUTimer
methods named last() and total(). They are actually getLast() and
- 11/01/02 Many students asked to see a working version of
project 3. You can get such a version at /afs/umbc.edu/users/o/a/oates/pub/CMSC341/Proj3/Proj3.tar
This code was written by a student in one of the 341 sections. To extract
the code get the tar file and run "tar -xvf Proj3.tar". This will create a
Proj3 directory with all of the code and a makefile.
- 10/29/02 The PDF version of the Red-Black tree review notes on
the Exam page had an omission in case 3 for bottom-up deletion. A
corrected version of the PDF is now available. It contains the same
information as the PS version, which was correct and complete.
- 10/16/02 A new help session has been added for the remainder of
the semester. It will be held in ACIV room 145 at 1PM on Mondays.
- 10/15/02 Online demos of Binary Search Trees, Splay Trees, and
Red-Black Trees have been added. Check out the demonstrations link below.
- 10/14/02 The constructors in the author's BST code
have been modified. The order of the items in the initialization list has
been reversed. The original order was causing warnings on some version of
- 10/09/02 The project description says that all
ConcordanceEntry methods must be private. That is not correct. You need
to be able to create a ConcordanceEntry outside of Concordance code so that
you can pass it in to the Concordance constructor. Make the methods
described in this document for ConcordanceEntrys public.
- 10/09/02 You must count blank lines when computing line numbers.
For example, if a text file starts with two blank lines and then has the
text "Four score and seven years ago", the word "four" occurs on line 3.
The text on which the sample output is based had some blank lines that have
been removed so that the sample output conforms to this clarification.
- 10/06/02 Professor Frey has reserved Lecture Hall 5 on
Monday, October 13 at 1:00 P.M. for a
presentation on GDB, the GNU debugger. All 341 students are
invited to attend
- 10/01/02 The project 2 description says that the next pointer
of column elements and the down pointer of row elements should be NULL when
they are first created. This is incorrect. These pointers should be set
so that the newly created element points to itself, maintaining circularity
in all lists.
- 09/03/02 The order of the keys and values in the INSERT
commands in the sample input was wrong. As per the
project description the format of the command is INSERT <index> <key>
- 09/03/02 Added all students that were officially registered for
any 341 section as of 9AM to the submit system.
- 09/03/02 Changed the description of the AList class in the
project 1 page to say "construction of an AList as a copy of another
AList" rather than "construction of an AList as a copy of another
- 07/25/02 Web pages for Fall 2002 created.