CMSC 202 -- Computer Science II for Majors
CMSC Gateway Warning
If you started your college education in Summer 1998 or later you are under the
"CMSC Gatway" and must complete CMSC 201 and CMSC 202 with a grade of B or better.
Because of the registrar rules regarding class sequences, students who received a
C in CMSC 201 must retake CMSC 201 before taking CMSC 202. If you choose not to
retake CMSC 201 or do not retake it before taking CMSC 202, you cannot
graduate as a computer science major.
In order for you to maximize your
chance for success in CMSC 202, you must have the following skills NOW.
Fluency in basic C or C++ programming
- Basic data types (int, float, char)
- Control structures (if-else, while, for, do, switch)
- Arithmetic, relational, and logical (Boolean) operators
- Arrays (single and multi-dimensional)
- Compound data types (struct)
- Header files
- C-style strings
- Creating working programs (designing, coding, compiling,
- Working with multi-file programs (separate compilation)
- Program commenting and formatting
- Top down design (problem
Knowledge of the Linux environment
The student GL computing environment at UMBC is Linux. All class projects
must compile, link and execute on the GL system. Students are encouraged
to do project development on the GL systems.
Transfer students and those who want to improve their Linux skills are encouraged
to check out
CMSC 121 -- Intro to Unix. This is a 3-week, 1-credit, pass/fail course that
meets three times per week and is offered three times during the semester.
CMSC 202 Overview
CMSC 202 focuses on the following aspects of computer science
All materials for this course can be found on the course homepage
- An introduction to the C++ programming language
- An introduction to object-oriented design (OOD) and object-oriented programming (OOP)
- Improved programming techniques including adherence to programming standards
www.cs.umbc.edu/courses/undergraduate/202/spring05. Be sure to check the
homepage frequently for important announcements.
In addition, a Blackboard site is available through
CMSC 202 Hold List
Enrollment in CMSC 202 is limited to 20 students per section due to
limited seating capacity in ECS 104A.
Students who are on the hold list for sections which are not full have been
given permission to enroll (you should have recieved an email).
If you are on the hold list for a full section, you will not be given permission
Last Modified: Monday, 28-Aug-2006 10:15:56 EDT