2020 hackUMBC online hackathon, Fri 11/13 – Sun 11/15
hackUMBC is UMBC’s 36-hour virtual tech innovation marathon where students worldwide collaborate on new ideas to build mobile, web, and hardware projects. hackUMBC invites diverse groups of students to enjoy a weekend of hacking, workshops, tech talks, networking, and other fun activities. At the end of 36 hours, participants’ projects are presented and judged for different prize categories from sponsors and other organizations.
The 2020 hackUMBC hackathon starts at 7:00 pm on Friday, November 13 and ends with a session starting at 6:00 pm Sunday with announcements and demonstrations of the winning hacks.
hackUMBC 2020 is still planning on offering all the same perks and excitement as in previous years. However, it will be completely virtual in order to follow coronavirus safety guidelines. All communication throughout the event will be done Virtually, our Discord workspace, and Zoom video conferencing.
This year there will be six tracks:
- Connection: Hacks focused on creating tools for building community and cultivating relationships in a virtual setting.
- Healthcare: Hacks focused on increasing accessibility in healthcare, especially in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Education: Hacks focused on creating solutions for accessibility in education, especially in distance learning.
- General: Whatever you want! These are hacks that don’t fall under any specific category.
- Equity: Hacks focused on building solutions for inequities faced by historically marginalized communities.
- Hobbies: Hacks focused on creating new ways to experience activities and pass times.
hackUMBC is free, but you must register here to participate. Any high school or undergraduate students or recent graduates are eligible to participate in our event. Additionally, all participants must follow the MLH code of conduct and hackUMBC code of conduct. To complete the pre-registration process, you will need a valid student or government-issued ID card and your resume. Since this year hackUMBC will be hosted virtually, all you will need is your hacking device (laptop, desktop, tablet, etc.) and Wi-Fi!