Born in Los Angeles, California and raised in Columbia, MD, Brandon is a Senior pursuing a major in Computer Engineering. When he's not studying, Brandon likes to relax with friends.

About Brandon…

When did you know that you wanted to study Computer Engineering?

I knew I wanted to major in Computer Engineering my senior year of high school.

What area of Computer Engineering are you most interested in?

I still have broad interests, but a specific area I am interested in is robotics. Aside from robots being cool, they are becoming more relevant to the progression of all areas, from the medical field to post-industrialization.

Are you part of any labs, clubs or organizations on campus?

I am a part of MALES, DEVICE, NSBE, and Habitat for Humanity. MALES and Habitat for Humanity are community service organizations. DEVICE and NSBE are engineering organizations.

Have you had any internships?

I have done two summer internships and I have accepted an offer for this summer. After my freshman year I did wireless sensor network research at the University of Albany. After my sophomore year I did image recognition and object tracking at the University of Michigan. This summer I will be interning for the National Security Agency (NSA).

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I am going to go to graduate school to get a Ph.D. in Computer Engineering.

What is your dream job?

My dream job will be to do government research for the military.

On UMBC and CSEE

What was your first impression of UMBC?

My first impression was that it was going to be like college in the movies.

Why did you choose UMBC?

I chose UMBC because I was accepted into the Meyerhoff Scholarship Program. Another reason was because it was close to home.

What do you like about campus life?

I like that you meet people. Living on campus allows you to make more friends and see people more frequently. It also gives you 24-hour access to labs and the library.

What was your first Computer Engineering course?

My first course was CMSC 201, the first of the required programming courses.

What was your favorite Computer Engineering course?

My favorite courses were CMSC 202 (Java Programming) and CMPE 306 (Circuits). I liked programming and coming up with my own solution to solving problems in 202. I enjoyed working with hardware and using measuring equipment in a laboratory setting in 306.

What do you like about the Computer Science and Electrical Engineering (CSEE) Department?

I like that the programs are ABET accredited. I also like the resources the department provides, like labs and computer software.

How would you describe the professors in the department?

The professors here are usually very helpful. They answer questions in class and office hours and can set up meeting with you around their schedules. Many of them have done industry related work which brings a different prospective into the classroom. Like anywhere else, some can be difficult and some are easier, but they try to make sure you know the material.

What advice would you give to incoming students?

Time management is the most important skill in college. Do not procrastinate and do not fall behind. Read ahead or at least at the same speed of the class. If you organize yourself and keep a calendar it makes things smoother.