2012 CSEE Research Program
9:30am – 4:00pm Friday, 4 May 2012
A celebration of research accomplishments by UMBC CSEE faculty and students in 2011–2012.
Free and open to the public. Ample free parking.
coffee, orange juice, doughnuts
Opening Remarks (9:20am–9:30am)
Gary Carter, Chair, Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Session I (9:30am–10:40am) – Each talk is 20mins.
- Using Sample Distributions to Accurately Calibrate Model Confidence, Marie desJardins, MAPLE Laboratory
- Automating Cloud Services Lifecycle through Semantic Technologies, Karuna P Joshi (Advisor: Yelena Yesha), ebiquity – Honorable mention PhD research
- Option-Based Multi-Source Policy Transfer in Object-Oriented MDPs, James MacGlashan (Advisor: Marie desJardins), MAPLE Laboratory – Honorable mention PhD research
Student Poster Session (10:40am–12:00noon)
More than 20 posters on research from both undergraduate and graduate students. Faculty vote for three best posters using range voting.
Lunch, in Lobby (12:00noon–1:00pm)
free sandwiches, hot entree, salad, drinks, and brownies
Session II (1:00pm–2:10pm)
- Innovative Optical and PowerÃ¢â‚¬ÂHarvesting Microsystems for Medicine, Gymama Slaughter, Bioelectronics Laboratory
- Policies and Context for Situationally-Aware Security Systems Anupam Joshi, ebiquity
- Cross-Platform OpenCL Code and Performance Portability for CPU and GPU Architectures Investigated with a Climate and Weather Physics Model Han Dong (Advisor: Shujia Zhou) – Best research by MS student
Session III (2:30pm–3:40pm)
- Subpixel Target Detection in Hyperspectral Imaging, Chein-I Chang, Remote Sensing Signal and Image Processing Laboratory
- An Effective Decoupling Method for Matrix Optimization and its Application to the ICA Problem , Matthew Anderson (Advisor: Tulay Adali), Machine Learning for Signal Processing Laboratory
- Acquiring Forensic Evidence from Infrastructure-as-a-Service Cloud Computing: Exploring and Evaluating Tools, Trust, and Techniques, Josiah Dykstra (Advisor: Alan Sherman), Cyber Defense Lab – Best research by PhD student
Student Poster Awards and Reception (3:40-4:00pm)
Organizer: Alan T. Sherman